Monday, June 28, 2010

Another ER Trip

Caleb doesn't have good luck. Last night he fell out of bed (the bottom bunk) and woke up crying. He was complaining about his head hurting. I asked him if his hit it and he didn't know. I gave him some medicine and didn't think to much about it. He then threw up which made me think I needed to watch him. He did ok for a while and I thought he was doing better until he threw up again. I started to worry but really didn't want to take him in. When he threw up the third time we called our insurance help line for so advise. The suggested that we take him in but because it was so late we would need to go to the ER. I really didn't want to sit in a ER at 11pm at night and pay hundreds of dollars. We decided to watch him through the night. We woke him up several times and he seemed to be doing ok.
This morning we woke up and he was watching t.v. and said his head felt fine and he was ok to go to swim team. So we went to swim team as usual. We were there for about 20 minutes when his swim coach came up to me to let me know that he was in the office sick and that he had thrown up. I now am officially worried. I got to the office and he looked awful. He was white as a ghost and very sweaty. When I started talking to him his eyes kept rolling back into his head. His pupils were pin points and he wasn't responding appropriately. He kept saying he was hot. I was really freaking out and the swim team staff called the ambulance.
The ambulance came and checked him out and suggested we go to the ER. I just wanted to take him but per their policy they couldn't let me. By this time John had gotten there and he followed Caleb to the hospital and I stayed and took the rest of the kids home.
When I got to the ER Caleb looked so much better. He was talking and watching t.v. They did a CT scan and he has a concussion. They made him stay until he could keep fluids down. We left with instructions for him to take it easy for a week. I guess this will teach me a lesson to not wait so long to get my kids check out when they are injured. I am assuming that the sit up they did at practice was to much for him. After talking with him I realized how out of it he was. He thought he got to ride in a fire truck to the hospital. He had no idea it was an ambulance. It will be tricky keeping him still for a week but we don't want a relapse.
Off he goes to the hospital
.
Caleb hanging out waiting for the CT scan.

1 comment:

SisterFin said...

That sounds like quite an adventure. I'm glad Caleb is okay. That is so wierd that the ambulance told you, you couldn't take him to the ER. I'm pretty sure you have the right to refuse service. Oh well, at least you didn't have to wait in line :)