Monday, December 15, 2008

Fire!!

I don't know if many of you know but I started working 1 day a week at a skilled nursing facility. I currently work on Thursday nights. This last Thursday it was around 9:30pm and the fire alarm went off. So we do our thing and start looking around and checking the room and patients to see if we can see if there is a problem. We figured it was a drill or a false alarm. One of my coworkers went down to the basement and it was full of smoke and then called a code red which is the code for fire. They called 911 and we started to evacuate patients. The fire department showed up in there full gear and went in. Turns out it was a toaster that either malfunctioned or someone forgot about their toast. The person involved took the toaster and threw it outside the kitchen but didn't tell any of us what had happened. It was a pretty crazy experience. It definitely made me understand how important having a fire plan is. I am glad it wasn't a real fire and that I wasn't the nurse in charge. She had many calls and paperwork to do. They crazy thing that happen during the night shift.

No comments: